Well, that did not take long, did it? Black Lives Matter now formally sides with the Hamas terror war. They now have declared “solidarity with Palestinians,” and the BDS movement to Boycott, Divest from, and Sanction Israel has welcomed Black Lives Matter to the anti-Semitic fray. “From Ferguson to Palestine, our struggles against racism, white supremacy and for a just world are united!”
There is so much to say, and yet there is a side of me, a strong side, that thinks back to a famous exchange former Israel Prime Minister Yitzhak Shamir had with an abysmally ignorant leftist Israeli teen when the prime minister once addressed a high school group. The leftist teen asked him why Jews have a right to be in Israel. That’s right — a Jewish leftist teen in Israel asking by what right his socialist kibbutz family lives in Israel. It is instructive that Jewish apostates like George Soros and Bernie Sanders do not turn on the Jews in their 80s. Rather, they start young, singing songs of Karl Marx and mourning the deaths of mass murderers and genocidal Jew-haters like Josef Stalin. From there it all goes downhill. (Soon after the situation in the Middle East calms down, I intend to write a multi-part series in these pages about these apostates and the whole phenomenon of apostate Jews on the anti-Jewish left. And I hope the situation does not calm down too soon because this time, finally, I hope Israel crushes Hamas to a point of unqualified victory.)
When Shamir was asked by that ignorant leftist teen why Jews have a right to be in Israel, the large, packed auditorium quieted to a whisper as everyone focused carefully on the prime minister’s response. These were the insightful explanatory words of wisdom that the prime minister of Israel offered:
I have never forgotten that sagacity. Some things need no further explanation and deserve none.
Why do I tell groups that America of today is the kindest, most decent, racism-free society that ever has existed?
Why do I write and tell people that socialism never works?
Why do I say that there only are two genders, male and female?
Why do I want to see Israel proceed now to crush Hamas’s infrastructure and not to let up until the job is done fully, and victory — not just “mowing the lawn” — truly is attained?
And why do I stand proudly on the opposite side of Black Lives Matter, proud publicly to publish on these pages that Black Lives Matter is despicable, and I oppose that organization fully?
There comes a point in one’s life when he just gets sick and tired of needing endlessly to refute lies, especially when the lies emanate from a power structure like today’s left-media cartel that presently cannot be penetrated easily with truth. They control so much of the mass communications — not only CBS, NBC, ABC, PBS, CNN, MSNBC, the New York Times, and the Washington Post, but even social media like Facebook and Twitter — that it seems almost impossible for the truth to break through. Yes, we have our publications like this wonderful vehicle and others like it, but the dragon of the Left is challenging to slay.
We do not give up. We do not roll over. We continue publishing the truth. Like a football quarterback constantly handing the ball to the running back, hoping that sooner or later his front line will open a hole for him to break through the defense for open daylight, we keep trying and pressing. And once in a while, the truth does break through. But even when we do not quite break through, we remain unbroken. Even as we see others, weaker and more cowardly, eventually capitulate and join the other side that offers them or their family members job security or social acceptance, we remain strong and firm, resolute. When no truth-and-fact answer will matter anyway to those who will not hear the truth, we find sufficiency with Prime Minister Shamir’s words:
I watch fools and Jew-haters amass in small, loud bands on street corners of Chicago and Los Angeles, chanting their anti-Israel slogans this week and calling for an “end to the occupation.” What these idiots — and that includes the congressional Squad of Jew-haters Ilhan Omar and Rashida Tlaib, and their Sisters in Israel-Hate and Hamas-Sympathy — do not grasp is:
1. Gaza is not “occupied,” you stupidly ignorant people. Israel left Gaza in 2005. For the past 16 years Hamas has ruled Gaza. There is no Israel occupation. Israel is not there, and Israel does not want it. If Hamas offered Israel complete sovereignty over Gaza, Israel would be as excited as you were when you opened your wedding presents and found 14 toasters. You keep screaming “End the Occupation in Gaza” when there is absolutely no Israeli presence there. It is remarkable that this has to be explained or even stated 16 years after Israel left.
2. Hamas launches its rockets from positions in residential apartment buildings, hospitals, school buildings, mosques, and ambulances. Israel uses technology and its “Iron Dome” to shield itself from rocket attacks. That is how Israel shields defensively. Hamas uses its population as human shields to protect its launching of thousands of rockets. That is how Hamas shields offensively.
3. At the start of the current war, Hamas had accumulated 14,000 rockets. They have launched 3,000 of them so far, indiscriminately into Israeli civilian population centers from Sderot, Ashdod, Ashkelon, and Beersheva to Jerusalem, Holon, Bat Yam, and Tel Aviv. They don’t care where the things land, just as long as they murder Jews. They are not aiming at Israeli police or military. Rather, they aim at women, children, and noncombatant male civilians. Those are war crimes under any definition of “war crime.” Likewise, it is a “war crime” to use a population as human shields and to station military targets in civilian centers like hospitals, school yards, residential apartment buildings, houses of worship, and ambulances.
4. Israel has to stop those rockets. Not because Israel is trying to be righteous or to help the world, but because the rockets are aiming to wipe out Israel’s population, and Israel has to protect its population. How hard is that to understand? There is no known way to stop those rockets, except to either erect high-technology defensive shields that successfully deflect or intercept many but not all the rockets, or send fighter aircraft into Gaza to wipe out missile batteries and launchers waiting to be fired. Israel has 10 Iron Dome batteries, each costing about $100 million. Every interceptor fired to stop a Hamas rocket costs Israel at least $40,000, possibly as high as $80,000, according to some estimates. The interceptors have an 80 to 90 percent success rate. Israel cannot simply allow itself to sit back and play a high-stakes video game with Hamas. Even successful Iron Dome defense costs Israel tens of millions, even hundreds of millions, of dollars. Ultimately, they absolutely have to go into Gaza and destroy the launchers and rockets. To do so, without unduly imperiling their young men in ground troops, they must bomb from overhead. There is no other way to take out those thousands of rockets and launchers, many of them based in underground tunnels awaiting later use. Since the rockets are launched from rooftops of residential apartment buildings, hospitals, mosques, and school buildings, that is where Israel has to bomb. There is absolutely no elegant work-around. Hamas knows this, and that is precisely why they station their rocket launchers there.
5. Hamas has only one end-game plan: to kill out all the Jews and drive Israel off the map. They already have Gaza. Israel chooses not to accommodate.
6. When Hamas receives shipments of concrete and cement, iron and steel, and other materials ostensibly purchased and sent to build homes and infrastructure, to rebuild housing destroyed in each war it starts, it uses disproportionate amounts of those building materials instead to construct rockets, bombs, other offensive military equipment, and underground mazes of tunnels comprising veritable underground “tunnel cities.” The tunnels are not narrow like the ones that American cars use to go through waterways like the Hudson River but rather are hugely wide to accommodate military tank formations and to house entire military units waiting to spring into action.
7. Hamas has started major wars with Israel in 2008–09, 2014, 2018, and now 2021. In between the wars, Hamas regularly attacks Israel in ongoing rocket strikes. Israel’s south regularly is struck, year round, by Hamas rockets aimed at murdering civilians and by incendiary “balloons” that are floated into Israel to ignite enormous forest fires. It never stops. It is almost every single day. No country on Earth would put up with this. Name a country that would allow an opposing entity on its border to start four separate wars with it in 12 years, and to continue attacking each and every week in between wars, and would not at some point utterly eradicate and obliterate the other side. Israel endures what no other country does because Israel knows, as we all know as we watch the United Nations, that Israel is held to a unique double standard that can be attributed to (i) pure anti-Semitism, (ii) European and Asian reliance on Arab oil for existential energy needs, forcing the Europeans and Asians to swallow hard and to do as their Arab Muslim suppliers demand, and (iii) the reality that Arab Muslim refugees from Algeria, Morocco, and Syria now make up and dominate enough of the voting electorate in many of those democracies to force politicians to sublimate their consciences to their need for votes.
This is the situation. That is why, ultimately, the answer to “Why?” is “Because.” It is that obvious and self-explanatory, regardless of whether a logical explanation will do any good.
So along come the haters of “Black Lives Matter,” and now they enter yet another area of conflict they do not begin to understand, and they side with Hamas. As Judge Judy has said, “Beauty fades. Dumb is forever.”
1. Black Lives Matter — like so many other “progressives” including the likes of Ocasio and the rest of the Squad — are idiots, completely ignorant of what is happening in the Middle East, who think that the Israelis are the “White Oppressors” while the Hamas terrorists are Terrorists of Color. In reality, the majority of Israel’s population are Sephardic Jews from North African countries like Morocco, Yemen, Libya, Tunisia, Egypt, Syria, Lebanon, Iraq, and Iran. They are — to use the Left’s irksome term — People of Color. Again: the majority of Jews in Israel are People of Color.
2. Here are the leaders of the Arab world who have fought Israel the past half century. Take a good look. Which Arab Muslim terrorists are “People of Color”?
So where is the Terrorist of Color?
3. On several occasions, Israel has risked the lives of its soldiers and gone to enormous national risk and expense to smuggle Black people into its country. Between late 1984 and early 1985 Israel smuggled 6,500 Ethiopian Jews into the country. In 1991, Israel smuggled 14,325 Ethiopian Jews in. These Black Ethiopians were brought into Israel to live fully and openly as Jews and to be full citizens of Israel from the moment they arrived. Today these “People of Color” — and, again, I hate the term because, to me, they are Jews, plain and simple — are full citizens of Israel and are at war with Hamas, too, fighting to protect their homes and lives in Israel.
The term “Black Lives Matter” is a dishonest usurpation. All lives matter, so Black lives matter, too, as do White lives, Arab lives, Christian lives, Jewish lives, Hindu lives, and so forth. But the term “Black Lives Matter” creates false challenges to reality and truth. Here, for example, is a law school that shamefully has set up a webpage titled “Black Lives Matter.” Where does that leave Jewish faculty or students, or non-Jewish pro-Israel faculty or students, who support Israel and recoil from Black Lives Matter, and want absolutely nothing to do with those Jew-haters nor even to be institutionally affiliated with them?
It is the world in which we now live, where the Left shoves its extreme viewpoints down our throats and threatens us with their “cancel culture,” leaving the courageous among us with few options other than to continue to write and speak the truth. Know this: they will not shut us up.
Notice to Readers: The American Spectator and Spectator World are marks used by independent publishing companies that are not affiliated in any way. If you are looking for The Spectator World please click on the following link: https://thespectator.com/world.