A shocking new report from a leading pro-life organization “documents the known and alleged abuses by Planned Parenthood,” providing evidence for a congressional probe of the nation’s largest abortion provider.
“[S]ubstantial evidence … appears to show a systemic and organization-wide pattern of violating federal and state laws,” charges The Case for Investigating Planned Parenthood, the new 181-page report by Americans United for Life.
The report represents a major push by social conservatives to put the abortion issue — and especially federal funding for Planned Parenthood — into the congressional spotlight, which recently has been dominated by fiscal issues because of the debt-ceiling negotiations. Capitol Hill sources say pro-life House Republicans are already planning an event next week to endorse AUL’s call for an investigation of Planned Parenthood.
An executive summary of the AUL report highlights the charges against Planned Parenthood:
- Misuse of federal health care and family planning funds. State audit reports and admissions by former employees detail a pattern of misuse by some Planned Parenthood affiliates.
- Failure to report criminal child sexual abuse. Substantial and still-developing evidence indicates that many Planned Parenthood clinics fail to report all instances of suspected abuse, and instead advise minors and their abusers on how to circumvent the mandatory reporting laws.
- Failure to comply with parental involvement laws. Some Planned Parenthood affiliates exhibit a pattern and practice of violating and circumventing parental involvement laws.
- Assisting those engaged in prostitution and/or sex trafficking. Some Planned Parenthood clinics have demonstrated a willingness to partner with pimps or sex traffickers to exploit young women instead of safeguarding their health and safety.
- Dangerous misuse of the abortion drug RU-486. Planned Parenthood’s admitted disregard for the FDA’s approved protocol puts profits above women’s lives and safety.
- Misinformation about so-called “emergency contraception,” including ella. Planned Parenthood boasts of its role in the approval of a new drug ella, yet provides considerable misinformation about the drug.
- Willingness to provide women with inaccurate and misleading information. Some Planned Parenthood affiliates continually demonstrate a disregard for women’s health and safety through their willingness to provide inaccurate and misleading information regarding fetal development and about abortion’s inherent health risks.
- Willingness to refer to substandard clinics. Some Planned Parenthood affiliates put the lives and safety of women and girls at risk by associating with substandard abortion providers.
The full PDF of the report is available online, and further information is available at AUL’s Web site.