As Jim Antle noted earlier, second-quarter fundraising ended June 30 and, while Federal Election Commission reports aren’t due until June 15, GOP presidential campaigns are already reporting their numbers. Atlanta businessman Herman Cain’s campaign issued this press release late Friday:
Cain Previews First Financial Filings
(Stockbridge, GA) – Republican presidential candidate Herman Cain today released an overview of his first campaign finance report, in advance of the reporting deadline of July 15.
While many candidates started with significant funding prior to the official launch of their campaigns, Cain’s operations started with $0 and have raised more than $2.46 million. The campaign boasts $0 in campaign debt, which Cain believes is a testament to his business principles.
“I am pleased to announce that our campaign has absolutely no debt,” Cain said. “I believe our country is in serious economic trouble, with politicians in Washington spending more than they take in. In my career as a business executive, I employed sound economic principles of fiscal responsibility that I will maintain throughout my campaign. I hope to set an example to those in Washington who should be doing the same.”
Friends of Herman Cain has received contributions from more than 27,000 individuals who have donated amounts ranging between $1 and the Federal Elections Commission maximum of $2,500. Donors hail from all 50 states.
“We are immensely appreciative of the outpouring of generosity from so many supporters across the U.S.,” Cain said. “I am humbled by the trust so many have put in me and assure them I will never forget where I come from, what I stand for and what matters to us as Americans.”
On the heels of increasing poll numbers and positive fundraising, Cain plans to announce additional staff, both “on the ground” and at campaign headquarters, in the coming weeks.
Cain’s campaign has experienced what spokeswoman Ellen Carmichael called “growing pains” since the underdog candidate got major national exposure in the May 5 South Carolina debate. It was reported Friday that two of Cain’s Iowa staffers had resigned, which followed reports earlier in the week of two other resignations, including Cain’s New Hampshire coordinator.
Scott Toomey, who was executive director of Cain’s presidential exploratory committee, has since become a consultant to the campaign, which is now being run by former chief of staff Mark Block. Some Cain supporters have complained privately of phone calls not being returned and other examples of sub-par staff performance by the campaign.
In a brief interview late Friday, Carmichael said that such complaints are most likely the result of Cain’s surge into the top tier of candidates in recent weeks. (A recent poll showed Cain third among Republicans in Iowa, where Pawlenty rated sixth place.) Cain began the campaign with a small staff and is now actually expanding his staff, said Carmichael, who has worked for the candidate since last fall. “I’m excited . . . I’m actually more confident than I’ve ever been,” she said, adding that the Cain campaign would be announcing replacements for the departed staffers and other new hires soon.