Here’s the link to the Iraq section of Huckabee’s website. The quick, bulleted summary:
- Iraq is a battle in our generational, ideological war on terror.
- The Democrats deny that the war in Iraq is part of the war on terror even as we fight Al Qaeda there. Al Qaeda seeks permanent bases in Anbar province to plot and train against us.
- General Petraeus and our troops are giving their all to provide a window of opportunity for the Iraq government to succeed, while the Democrats are running for the exit doors.
- The surge is a military means to achieve the political end of sectarian reconciliation among the Iraqis.
- Setting a timetable for withdrawal is a mistake. This country has never declared war until “a week from Wednesday,” we have always declared war until victory.
- I am focused on winning. Withdrawal would have serious strategic consequences for us and horrific humanitarian consequences for the Iraqis.
- I support a regional summit so that Iraq’s neighbors become militarily and financially committed to stabilizing Iraq.