1. This suggests Bloomberg won’t be running — a good thing for the GOP nominee I think.
2. Bob Novak reports that Thompson supporters are putting great weight on his first debate appearance and may not in fact be there in New Hampshire on September 5. He should remember that George W. Bush “ducked” a debate in the Granite State in 1999, contributing to bad press and giving John McCain an opening which he exploited.
3. The RealClearPolitics polling averages and helpful graph show Rudy widening his lead a bit, Romney unmistakably moving up, McCain sliding substantially and Thompson slipping some. Does this all change when Thompson formally enters?
4. The Washington Post editorial page continues its unblemished track record of being entirely reasonable and rational on judicial nominees (unlike the New York Times it opposed Democrats’ efforts to block Roberts and Alito) by supporting the confirmation of Judge Southwick.
5. David Broder touts Mike Huckabee’s chances, while revealing just how much his candidacy rests on anti-free trade, populist and class envy themes. Isn’t one John Edwards enough?