I spent a good chunk of this evening watching The 58th Annual Grammy Awards. Here are 15 observations.
1. This was an evening of tributes – David Bowie, Glenn Frey, B.B. King, Maurice White & Lemmy. No doubt Lionel Richie was grateful to see & participate in his tribute.
2. Tyrese did an outstanding rendition of The Commodores’ “Brick House”.
3. Lady Gaga captured the inflection, timber & spirit of David Bowie’s voice. She was the perfect choice to pay The Thin White Duke tribute. She is, after all, a Space Oddity.
4. The B.B. King tribute might have been the best of all the tributes with Chris Stapleton, Gary Clark, Jr. & Bonnie Raitt performing “The Thrill is Gone”.
5. Stevie Wonder & Pentatonix did a nice tribute to Maurice White, but why didn’t Earth, Wind & Fire, who were present at the ceremony, to join them?
6. Alice Cooper is still rockin’ at the age of 68.
7. Johnny Depp was & has always been a real weirdo.
8. Nice to see Bernie Leadon on stage with The Eagles. Did you know he very nearly became Ronald Reagan’s son-in- law?
9. Glad to see the Grammy President Neil Portnow acknowledge the Paris terrorist attacks & say that it would not stop the music.
10. I liked Justin Bieber on acoustic guitar. It’d be interesting if he recorded an acoustic only album.
11. Alabama Shakes was a revelation. Their lead singer Brittany Harper has a voice that could stand toe to toe with Adele.
12. Did Taylor Swift think she won Song of the Year when Ed Sheerhan’s name was called?
13. I know Taylor Swift was responding to Kanye West, but there will always be who try to undermine the success of others be they women or men. Kanye might be insufferable, but Joni Mitchell has said far worse of Taylor Swift.
14. I can see why Hamilton is sold out until 2018. So why take Hamilton off the $10 bill now?
15. James Bay looks like a young Timothy B. Schmitt of The Eagles.
The above remarks might be off-key, but you can always listen to a different song.