James Comey’s testimony revealed a couple main newsy items:
- President Trump wanted to get to the bottom of the Russia business and told James Comey so.
- President Trump felt that Mike Flynn was good man being falsely besmirched – something he stated in a press conference and not exactly secret information. So Trump “hoped” that Comey could let that investigation go. [Critics are trying to call this obstruction.]
- President Trump was not, at any time, under criminal investigation.
- James Comey leaked his memos to a friend, Columbia law professor Daniel Richman, to leak to the press (rather than leaking them himself) because he was going on vacation, but he did not give the memos to Congress.
- James Comey went public about Clinton because of Loretta Lynch who asked Comey to call the investigation a “matter.”
Remember when this whole thing was about Trump’s supposed collusion with Russia? That is a complete nothing-burger so the goal posts have moved.
Now, it’s about supposed obstruction of justice or coercion.
Meanwhile, Loretta Lynch didn’t just obstruct, she directed and James Comey complied, with scuttling the Hillary Clinton investigation and renaming it a “matter” instead of an investigation.
Is this whole thing a witch hunt? Yes.
Does President Trump know what’s okay behavior for the President? No.
Bumbling, though, does not constitute a crime and all the fevered mischaracterizations and blatant falsehoods in the media were meant to tie Trump’s presidency in knots. Ironically, in this way, their aims are precisely the same as Russia’s Vladamir Putin.
Who needs Russian interference when a malicious media is on the hunt and Democrats refuse to accept the results of an inconvenient election? Vladamir Putin is achieving his aims.
Comey also alluded to something possibly nefarious that AG Jeff Sessions possibly might have done. Again, with Comey, his hints and innuendos imply but don’t indict.
James Comey is a political operative first, a lawman second or maybe not at all. He leaks information to the press. He applied one standard to Democrats and another to Republicans.
This whole think reeks of political b.s.
While the D.C. parasites bellied up to the bar at 9 am to watch the spectacle, Trump voters went to work. The networks live streaming Comey’s testimony mean to put D.C. in the center of an American’s world.
It’s exactly backwards. Government institutions are meant to serve the public not themselves. This whole sordid day is as self-serving as D.C. and political operatives get.
Photo credit: Donkey Otey