I have encountered a fair number of persons holding a more or less traditional view of marriage who are warming up to Sanders because Sanders strikes them as a “nice man” who just wants to “help the poor.” Pay attention, please, for Sanders has told us exactly what he would do to you as President (rest assured that Hillary Clinton would do the same):
1. “Veto any legislation that purports to ‘protect’ religious liberty at the expense of others’ rights” (the scare quotes are his). In other words, he is going to get you, you hateful, ignorant bigots who have a problem with supporting directly with your talents, goods, and money the full homosexual and transgender lifestyle.
2. “Sign into law the Equality Act,” of which he “is currently a cosponsor,” “which would expand the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and other anti-discrimination laws to include protections for sexual orientation and gender identity.” This would include a so-called “employment nondiscrimination” legislation that renders you the moral equivalent of a racist should you utter in or out of the workplace the view that homosexual activity is harmful or immoral. Think of it as anti-Christian (and anti-Muslim and anti-Orthodox Jewish) employment discrimination legislation.
Expect lots of firings and terminations to take place. Imagine your workplace as a sort of “secret police” state, except the policing won’t be so secret. Expect there to be a full-court federal push to punish with hefty fines those who do not want to contribute their talents and goods directly to “gay weddings” (bakers, florists, photographers, caterers). Churches that allow non-parishioners to use any of their facilities will have to offer these to “gay weddings” and any other homosexual or transgender activities. In some cases white-collar employees who outside the workplace write in favor of a male-female foundation for marriage (even on a Facebook post) could be charged with creating a hostile work environment and terminated. By the way, “gender identity” means transgenderism and cross-dressing. Sanders wants men who think they are women to have full access to women’s restrooms.
3. “Continue the great work of the State Department’s Special Envoy for LGBT Rights and ensure the United States helps protect the rights of LGBT people around the world.” In other words, he intends to expand Obama’s efforts at forcing poor countries to promote the entire homosexual and transgender agenda that he has worked hard to promote in this country. Otherwise they will be denied federal funding, which will increase economic hardship in those countries. Help the poor? Not unless they get on board.
4. “Require police departments to adopt policies to ensure fairer interactions with transgender people, especially transgender women of color …, and institute training programs to promote compliance with fair policies.” This is a mandate to indoctrinate forcibly police departments along the lines of “progressive” sexual ideology. Either they learn to advance the transgender cause or face discipline and termination. That means converting law enforcement into the most active enforcers of a homosexual and transgender agenda against the citizenry. You have no rights, except the right to remain silent.
5. Pass “anti-bullying” legislation requiring indoctrination of children in the schools into the LGBT agenda. Your children will be taught to regard you as a “bully” and a “homophobic bigot” if you don’t affirm homosexual and transsexual identities. Your children will be given exercises that will urge them to declare their affinity with the LGBT cause. “If you believe that sexual orientation is not a choice, walk across the room to us, where these treats are waiting.” If your children don’t comply, they will be ostracized.
6. Make sure that the three or four Supreme Court Justices who are likely to retire in the next five years (in addition to the recently deceased lion of the Court, Justice Scalia, if the Senate does approve Obama’s nomination), along with all other federal judicial retirees, be replaced by judicial activists who will legislate from the bench policies that will further codify your place in society as a bigot for not joining the “gay rights” and “trans-rights” bandwagons. The opportunity to overturn Obergefell will be gone for the foreseeable future.
And the following, though not stated in his campaign promises, can be taken as a given:
7. Continue to use the office of the President as a “bully pulpit” to berate persons who believe that Jesus was right about a male-female foundation for marriage (and that a man cannot become a woman and vice versa).
8. Obliterate any reference to “husband” and “wife” in the law. Expect implementation of gender-neutral pronouns (ze, hir, zir, xe, xem, xyr, etc.).
9. Remove federal funds from Christian colleges (think federal student loan funds) and charitable organizations that don’t promote the LGBT “rights” agenda. Require religiously oriented adoption agencies to place children with same-sex couples. Require Christian colleges and seminaries to open up married-student housing to same-sex couples. Work to remove accreditation and tax exemptions from evangelical Christian schools.
During oral arguments in the Obergefell case, Justice Alito asked the Solicitor General whether, as with Bob Jones University, a Christian college could lose tax-exempt status over not endorsing homosexual unions. The Solicitor General, who was arguing for same-sex marriage on behalf of the Obama administration, responded, “It’s certainly going to be an issue. I don’t deny that.”
10. Make all federal grants and contracts conditional on the implementation of affirmative action programs for self-identified “gays,” lesbians, and “transgender” persons. Require the adoption of mandatory (and periodic) pro-LGBT “diversity training” of all employees.
Don’t believe that Sanders will work aggressively to do this? Check out Sanders’ past zeal for the LGBT cause noted on the same webpage:
In 1983, during his first term as Mayor of Burlington, Sen. Sanders supported the city’s first ever Pride Parade. He later signed a city ordinance banning housing discrimination. When he served in the House of Representatives, then-Congressman Sanders voted against “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” in 1993 and the so-called “Defense of Marriage Act” in 1996. Sen. Sanders hailed the landmark Supreme Court decisions in 2013 and 2015 which struck down DOMA and recognized same-sex marriage is a right in all 50 states, calling the decisions a “victory for same-sex couples across our country as well as all those seeking to live in a nation where every citizen is afforded equal rights.”
Sanders boasts that he “has a lifetime perfect score from the Human Rights Campaign,” the wealthiest LGBT political organization in the country.
Do you really want to vote for someone (Sanders or Clinton) who views you and your family as hateful, ignorant bigots and who intends to codify that view into law and attenuate the civil liberties of you and your children, at school, in the workplace, and in Christian associations?
Notice to Readers: The American Spectator and Spectator World are marks used by independent publishing companies that are not affiliated in any way. If you are looking for The Spectator World please click on the following link: https://thespectator.com/world.