The novelty song “Istanbul not Constantinople,” written on the 500th anniversary of the fall of the eponymous city to the Ottoman Empire and re-popularized in the ’90s by They Might Be Giants, celebrates the Eastern Roman Empire best remembered for its labyrinthian — or “byzantine” — system of government. But Byzantium’s arcane and complex political system pales […]
Daniel Schuman is a Policy Director at Demand Progress.
- Why Mitch McConnell Moved On From ‘Moving On’ on Health Care
- Be Very Afraid, As Democrats ‘Fix’ the Housing Crisis
- Render Them Unable: More on MacLean’s ‘Democracy in Chains’
- California in an Oyster Shell
- Apostate: Sinners Outside the Leftist Anti-Church
- In Government We Antitrust