The novelty song “Istanbul not Constantinople,” written on the 500th anniversary of the fall of the eponymous city to the Ottoman Empire and re-popularized in the ’90s by They Might Be Giants, celebrates the Eastern Roman Empire best remembered for its labyrinthian — or “byzantine” — system of government. But Byzantium’s arcane and complex political system pales […]
Daniel Schuman is a Policy Director at Demand Progress.
- It’s Leftward Ho — and No End in Sight
- Economic Development: The Joke’s on Us
- Saved by the Hurricane — How Do You Spell Islamic Relief?
- The Pivotal Battle of the Civil War
- North Korea’s Syrian Connection
- The Unease of Comfort