The novelty song “Istanbul not Constantinople,” written on the 500th anniversary of the fall of the eponymous city to the Ottoman Empire and re-popularized in the ’90s by They Might Be Giants, celebrates the Eastern Roman Empire best remembered for its labyrinthian — or “byzantine” — system of government. But Byzantium’s arcane and complex political system pales […]
Daniel Schuman is a Policy Director at Demand Progress.
- Does Midterm History Really Augur Big GOP Losses?
- They’re Coming After the Prop. 13 ‘Loophole’
- A Good Divorce Can Beat a Bad Marriage
- Repeal Taxes & Tariffs on Medical Devices Before It’s Too Late
- The Electro-Porsche Surtax
- Audit Shows Massive Debt and Deception for Kentucky Wired