An E-6 on George Will’s Baseball Trivia Column

By on 4.5.15 | 2:36PM

In honor of the forthcoming 2015 season, George Will's latest column is devoted to baseball trivia.

However, I would like to offer a correction on one of his questions.

He asks the reader to identify the only World Series between teams with fewer than 90 regular season wins. In his answer section, Will indicates that this occurred in last year's World Series between the Kansas City Royals and the San Francisco Giants who won 89 and 88 games, respectively.

However, this was not the first time this had happened in World Series history and I'm surprised that Will overlooked this considering it involved his beloved Chicago Cubs.

The Cubs faced the Boston Red Sox in the 1918 World Series. The Bosox won the AL pennant with only 75 wins while the Cubs won 84 games en route to the NL pennant. The reason for this was that the regular season was ended on September 1st due to the work or fight order handed down by Provost Marshall General Enoch Crowder

Is Juan Williams Really This Stupid About Iran?

By on 4.5.15 | 12:18AM

When I saw that The Five was going to discuss the Iranian nuclear framework, I knew that Juan Williams would defend the indefensible.

I don't have a video clip or a transcript of what Williams said. But take my word for it he thinks the framework reached between Obama & the P5+1 is the greatest thing since the invention of the wheel.

Jonah Goldberg Doesn’t Understand The Difference Between Rabbis & Pizza Joints

By on 4.4.15 | 11:19PM

I saw Jonah Goldberg on Neil Cavuto's show yesterday afternoon defending Indiana's RFRA as well as Memories Pizza.

I thought he made an odd argument in its defense when he stated didn't complain about "bigoted rabbis" when no rabbi would marry him and his Catholic bride. Goldberg would later express his bewilderment that people were not receptive to his argument.

Goldberg's rabbi argument is a poor one because rabbis are generally affiliated with synagogues which is of course a religious assembly covered under the federal RFRA as it was originally written. There's a world of difference between rabbi refusing to marry a Jew to a non-Jew in a synagogue and a pizza proprietor refusing to serve food to a same sex wedding.

Thoughts on Josh Hamilton, Ervin Santana & Jarred Cosart

By on 4.4.15 | 9:50PM

A couple of hours ago, I submitted my predictions for the 2015 MLB season which will hopefully be up by Monday morning.

In the meantime, I would like to make a few comments about the situations involving Los Angeles Angels outfielder Josh Hamilton, Minnesota Twins pitcher Ervin Santana and Miami Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart.

An arbitrator has decided not to suspend Hamilton following his disclosure that used cocaine in the off-season. Both the Angels and MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred are less than pleased with the decision. The Angels are displeased they will have to continue to pay him his $125 million contract while Manfred is displeased with the arbitration process and that changes would need to be made. I suspect that Hamilton wasn't suspended because he disclosed his relapse (as he did in 2009 and 2012). What's interesting is that Hamilton seems to relapse once every three years and in the off-season. As long as he's playing baseball, he's fine at least where it concerns substance abuse.

How Team Obama Got Iran to Agree to Nuclear Framework

By on 4.2.15 | 9:35PM

If you like your nuclear facilities, you can keep them.

Christians Targeted in Kenya’s Worst Terrorist Attack Since ‘98 U.S. Embassy Attack; 147 Killed

By on 4.2.15 | 6:31PM

Kenya experienced its worst terrorist attack since the bombing of the U.S. Embassy in 1998.

Al-Shabab, the Somali based affiliate of al Qaeda, stormed the residences of Garissa University targeting Christian students. When it was all over 147 people were killed, most of them Christian.

I understand that many Christians in this country feel maligned especially with the row in recent days over Indiana's RFRA with gay rights activists. While some people opposing the law have gone over the line and have threatened violence, it is clear that terrorist organizations such as ISIS, Boko Haram and Al-Shabab represent a far greater threat to Christians. Today's heinous attack in Kenya should remind us of this fact. It should also remind us that such an attack against Christians could occur on American soil.

A Dumb Way to Protest a Dumb Law

By on 4.2.15 | 3:23PM

I have made no secret of my displeasure with Indiana's newly passed RFRA law.

I would go as far as to say that it is a dumb law.

Unfortunately, there are people who are protesting this dumb law in a very dumb way especially the high school coach in Elkhart, Indiana who threatened to burn down a pizza joint when the owner stated they would not cater a gay wedding. As a result of this threat and of the hostility directed at Memories Pizza in Walkerton, Indiana, the restaurant has closed and the owners are considering leaving the area.

Framework for Iran Nuclear Deal Reached (Or Desperation is The Obama Way)

By on 4.2.15 | 2:42PM

The EU and Iran have announced that the P5+1 talks have produced a framework for a nuclear deal.

The deadline for a final deal is still June 30th, but deadlines don't mean anything to President Obama. Indeed, he told his negotiators to pay no heed to the March 31st deadline for the framework.

So if there is no final deal come June 30th then surely Obama will give his negotiators the same instructions. As I argued the other day, the real deadline for an Iran nuclear deal is January 20, 2017.

Howard Dean said the Obama Administration should walk away from the table to get a better deal. But the Obama Administration just wants a deal, any deal. Anything to get a second Nobel Peace Prize.

To paraphrase Pink Floyd, "Desperation is the Obama way."

People Angry About Legislation Take It Out on Pizzeria

By on 4.2.15 | 12:41PM

I had this brilliant idea for an article yesterday, where I was going to talk about how the fight over Indiana's RFRA was a horrible example of how we've regressed into a perpetual childlike state as a country. Someone doesn't want to bake you a cake? MOOOOOMMMMMY FIX IT. Don't want to bake someone a cake? MOOOOOOOMMMY FIX IT. What would have once been resolved with a curt but polite personal exchange that resulted in both parties getting what they wanted, but coming away slightly miffed at the other party, is now a battle of legislative and judicial wills, with one party running to unelected judges to declare their will sacrosanct, and the other party running to overbearing legislators to declare their protection.

President Obama Misses Point, Date of April Fools

By on 4.2.15 | 12:12PM

Issued forth from the White House this morning: Barack Obama's April Fools Day joke. It's supposed to be an impression of House of Cards main character, Frank Underwood. I think. That's what the headline says, at least. I'm not convinced.

I'm also not convinced the White House just didn't forget April Fools Day and tried to come up with something they could tape between the President's busy meeting schedule. No doubt this impression just kills at White House press pools, but it's not exactly convincing me that Frank Underwood has been hiding inside Barack Obama's skin for the last six years. After all, Frank Underwood gets stuff done, and I can't really say the same for President Obama.