Nunn Mum About Whether She Voted for Obama

By on 10.16.14 | 10:10AM

Well, Alison Lundergan Grimes has company.

Another Democrat running for the Senate won't say if she voted for Barack Obama. This time it was Georgia's Michelle Nunn who was mum when approached with the question yesterday.

This video is interesting in light of a new poll gives which her a 3% lead over Republican David Perdue.

Will the Obama albatross evaporate this lead?

Neil Patrick Harris to Host Oscars

By on 10.16.14 | 9:43AM

Neil Patrick Harris has been named the host of the 87th Annual Academy Awards. Harris himself actually broke the news himself via Twitter.

I know a lot of conservatives say phooey to the Oscars, but this should be a fun show. Harris has hosted the Tony Awards four times and the Emmys twice. These forums have given Harris, who is best known for his roles on Doogie Howser, M.D. and How I Met Your Mother, an opportunity to showcase his talent as a singer and a dancer. He could become this generation's Billy Crystal.

The Oscars will air on February 22, 2015.

Obama Should Put Romney in Charge of U.S. Response to Ebola

By on 10.15.14 | 9:24PM

I caught most of President Obama's remarks on the spread of the Ebola virus and must say that he said nothing to inspire my confidence. I suspect that I am not alone in feeling this way.

When Obama says that we are "monitoring, supervising and overseeing in a much more aggressive way" we have to remember this is the same man who said a month ago that Ebola reaching our shores was "an unlikely event" but that we were ready for it. Clearly, we weren't ready for it a month ago and I have little faith that we are ready today. But this Obama at his most annoying:

I am absolutely confident that we can prevent a serious outbreak of the disease in the United States, but it becomes more difficult to do so if this epidemic of Ebola rages out of control in West Africa. If it does, then it will spread globally in an age of frequent travel and the kind of constant interactions that people have across borders.

Royals Win AL Pennant

By on 10.15.14 | 8:07PM

The Kansas City Royals have swept the Baltimore Orioles in the ALCS winning 2-1 in Game 4 in front of the hometown fans.

It marks the Royals' first World Series appearance since 1985. It is their third AL pennant overall. The Royals made their first World Series appearance in 1980.

Outfielder Lorenzo Cain was named ALCS MVP. Cain went 8 for 15 with two doubles, a stolen bases and critical sacrifice bunt in today's game. What probably won him the ALCS MVP was his defense. While I think a case could have been made for Royals third baseman Mike Moustakas who hit 3 HR and made an over the rail catch during Game 3, I don't quibble with Cain being honored.

Despite the sweep, the Royals didn't dominate the Orioles. The O's didn't lose any game by more than two runs and were only outscored 18-12. But the Royals set the agenda from the moment Moustakas and Alex Gordon hit back to back HR in extra innings in Game 1. The Orioles were competitive, but uninspired.

Bono Apologizes for That U2 Album He Stuck Everyone With

By on 10.15.14 | 3:22PM

I'm a fan of U2, even though I came of age in an era of music where everyone on the radio was whining about their sex lives and refusing to shave their armpits. I even ended up kind of liking their new album when it came up accidentally on my iPhone's shuffle feature because an entire album was downloaded onto my phone without my permission.

Like millions of Americans, I was simultaneously creeped out - that Apple could just add random people to my playlists - and befuddled as to when a music industry that has been, for years, prosecuting pre-teens for illegally downloading Justin Bieber albums decided to start pushing free music. But mostly, we were all confused as to why anyone would think that, of all the albums available, we'd want a U2 album.

Thankfully, Bono himself has now apologized for the oversight.

Facebook user Harriet Madeline Jobson asked:

“Can you please never release an album on iTunes that automatically download to peoples’ playlists ever again? It’s really rude.”

Glen Campbell Releases His Final Single

By on 10.15.14 | 3:06PM

Glen Campbell has released the final single of his long and storied musical career. "I'm Not Gonna Miss You" documents his battle with Alzheimer's Disease and is a love letter to his wife and children written by a man who knows his memories will soon be gone:

You're the last person I will love / You're the last face I will recall / And best of all / I'm not gonna miss you

I've listened to the song. It is very, very powerful. Glen Campbell goes out on top.

It was recorded in January 2013. As of April, Campbell was admitted into a long term care facility in Nashville. The release of the single coincides with a documentary Glen Campbell: I'll Be Me which will be released in theaters later this month.

Shortly after Campbell was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, he recorded an album and went out on one last tour. I was in attendance at his show at Boston's Wilbur Theater. I am sure glad I got the chance to see him.

In Praise of the 12 MPs Who Voted Against Britain’s Anti-Israel Resolution

By on 10.15.14 | 12:15PM

In follow up to my post about the British House of Commons vote against Israel, here is the list of the 12 MPs who voted against the resolution. Among the 12 were six Tories, five members of the Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) in Northern Ireland and one Liberal Democrat MP. There's not a Labour member to be found. Not that the Tories have much to be proud of as their MPs voted overwhelmingly in favor of the resolution. Nevertheless, these 12 MPs deserve recognition for be willing to buck the anti-Israel and anti-Semitic sentiments now front and center in the UK.

Rt. Hon. Sir Alan Beith, Liberal Democrat

Bob Blackman, Conservative

Jonathan Djanogly, Conservative

Nigel Dodds, DUP

Mike Freer, Conservative

Dr. William McCrea, DUP

Nigel Mills, Conservative

Dr. Matthew Offord, Conservative

Ian Paisley, Jr., DUP

Jim Shannon, DUP

David Simpson, DUP

Robert Syms, Conservative

Thoughts on the British House of Commons Disturbing Anti-Israel Vote

By on 10.15.14 | 11:37AM

The other day the British House of Commons voted to recognize a Palestinian state. Although the resolution, introduced by Labour MP Grahame Morris, called for the recognition of “the state of Palestine alongside the state of Israel”; it was, for all intents and purposes, nothing more than an exercise in anti-Israel demagoguery.

David Hearst, editor of Middle East Eye, wrote the following in the U.K. edition of The Huffington Post:

For Israel, an umbilical cord carrying the lifeblood of the state extends between it and Washington. Just imagine the speeches in the British Parliament that voted to recognize Palestinian statehood on Monday being uttered on Capitol Hill. They would have been unrepeatable in the US Congress

Philip Weiss, founder of the anti-Israel website Mondoweiss, echoed similar sentiments:

Is Moppery a Crime?

By on 10.15.14 | 10:44AM

I had heard that one could be arrested for mopery, but this is the first I'm hearing of criminal moppery

When John Thornton visited the Double Tree Hotel in Bristol, Connecticut, on Monday night, he apparently did not like the mop job being done by a female employee.

So he allegedly grabbed the mop from the woman and began, in the words of the police report, “mopping aggressively.”

Hillary Clinton Slams Student Debt at $225K Speech at UNLV

By on 10.14.14 | 4:43PM

Hillary Clinton headlined a lavish fundraiser for the University of Nevada Las Vegas last night, at the posh Bellagio Hotel and Casino on the Las Vegas strip. She graced the crowd with her presence for a full 90 minutes and made a short speech, for which she earned a hefty $225,000 payout.

In her keynote speech, Hillary Clinton assailed higher education's high cost and slammed the concept of saddling college students with insurmountable student debt, telling the crowd that higher education shouldn't be a luxury reserved to the few and the privileged, all as guests chowed down on $200-per-plate meals.