Is Hillary About to Get Rahm’ed?

By on 4.13.15 | 4:16PM

She's been on the campaign trail for less than 24 hours, but already the media has been unable to find the actual "van" Hillary is traveling in, people on Facebook are beginning to notice that she might have dyed her eyebrows for the occasion, and Hillary is having a tough time rounding up support from fellow New York politicians for her bid for the Democratic Presidential nomination.

I'm not sure about the eyebrows, honestly, and I tend to think this road trip is underwhelming (don't people typically stop at more than gas stations on a road trip? Wouldn't a Hillary Clinton tour of roadside attractions like the World's Largest Frying Pan and the Duct Tape Capitol of the World be social media gold?), but the last one is what really has me worried - or, at least, it would have me worried if I were suddenly knocked unconscious by a falling rock and woke up thinking I was Chelsea: prominent New York Democrats like NYC Mayor Bill De Blasio and governor Andrew Cuomo have yet to say whether they're on board the Hillary van

Thoughts on the Passing of Günter Grass

By on 4.13.15 | 1:10PM

I would like to share some thoughts on Günter Grass who passed away today at the age of 87. Grass is best remembered as the author of The Tin Drum. Largely on the basis of this work, Grass would earn the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1999.

For decades, Grass was considered Germany's foremost left-wing intellectual and the nation's conscience; forcing it to confront its past with the Nazis. But it wasn't until nearly a decade ago that Grass disclosed that he was a member of the Waffen-SS during WWII. It was a classic case of a person living in a glass house throwing stones.

And he continued to cast stones. Take Iran's threat to wipe Israel off the map. Guess whose side he was on? In 2012, Grass wrote a poem titled "What Must Be Said" lambasting Israel for its nuclear program and Germany's role in selling Israel military equipment. Here is a portion of it:

Gwyneth Paltrow Takes SNAP Challenge, Fails Miserably

By on 4.13.15 | 1:09PM

Years ago, in need of some unintentional hilarity in my life, I signed up for Gwyneth Paltrow's "lifestyle email newsletter" called, somewhat unappetizingly, "GOOP." Since then, on a weekly basis — I think, it goes to my spam folder and has for a while now — I get a delivery of incredibly pretentious life advice that no one with a household income south of $10 million per year could ever follow. I mean, I like nice things. But I like nice things I can use. And that other people know are nice things. But I'm not going to spend $900 on a blanket; I'd just as soon let my cats shed on actual cash.

Rubio Vastly Improves The Republican Field

By on 4.13.15 | 12:19PM

Like Larry, I'm glad that Marco Rubio will be seeking the Republican Party nomination for the White House.

Rubio's entry into the GOP field vastly improves it for he stands head and shoulders above Ted Cruz and Rand Paul. If Cruz and Paul are the sizzle then Rubio is the steak. When I hear Cruz and Paul, they speak as if they are in love with the sound of their own voice. Frankly, we've already had six years of that and we don't need anymore of it. When I hear Rubio speak, I hear a man who is serious, sober and yet optimistic. Rubio is deliberate, thoughtful and offers viable alternatives such as his tax reform plan with fellow Senator Mike Lee. He has also been an eloquent spokesperson on foreign affairs especially on Iran and Cuba. Given Rubio's Cuban heritage and the Obama Administration's efforts to legitimize Cuba under Castro we can expect to hear a great more about this from him. When we also consider Paul's support for the Obama Administration's efforts in Cuba, sparks will surely fly between them on this subject during the GOP debates.

Marco Rubio Is Running for President, Too, You Guys

By on 4.13.15 | 11:55AM

I kind of feel bad for Marco Rubio. Four years ago, he was definitely a thing. Nice guy, cute wife, lovely family, good backstory, conservative yet acceptably well-thought-out positions on key issues, and the kind of fighting spirit that made you think that he was uniquely qualified to lead the next generation of Republicans in Congress.

And then Ted Cruz got elected.

I'm not saying that one is particularly better than the other, but Marco Rubio has been overshadowed as of late by sparklier stars. Where he was once a hot commodity, he'snow been relegated to that speaking slot at CPAC that happens before everyone's morning coffee, and while reporters in the audience are still trying to piece together the night before. He's a good guy, and he'd be a great candidate for President - if we could turn back the clock and let him "do over" the last few years.

Regardless of time traveling ability, however, he's thrown his hat into the ring.

Hillary Clinton Party Van En Route to Iowa

By on 4.13.15 | 11:32AM

I have to take a moment to apologize, readers. When I wrote about how Hillary Clinton was goingto "normalize" herself in an effort to connect with the real folk who will one day be browbeaten enough to vote for her, I assumed that she would do normal, politics-y things like talk about her favorite cookie recipe that she's never baked once and stole from the back of a bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips, or chat about her morning Sun Salutations and raw kale smoothies in a joint interview with Kate Hudson in SELF.

I underestimated the commitment here.

Instead, Hillary Clinton is embarking on a cross-country roadtrip. In a van. Called "Scooby."

Because, obviously.

Clinton left Sunday on a road trip from her home in Chappaqua, New York, in a van headed for Iowa, home of the nation’s first presidential caucuses.

Hillary Clinton (Finally) Announces Presidential Campaign ‘For the People’

By on 4.12.15 | 3:53PM

Guess what guys? Hillary Clinton is running for President!

I am absolutely floored, as I know you are. Today, several hours later than originally planned (isn't is just like a woman to be late to her own Presidential campaign announcement? har.), Hillary Clinton released a two-minute video called "Getting Started," and a logo that, by the looks of it, was made using Microsoft Paint and some clip art of the internationally-recognized symbol for "hospital."

In the video, regular people explain their regular problems to other regular people who have other regular problems. At the end, Hillary Clinton herself announces (in front of her $2 million New York mansion, of course), that the people need a champion, and thanks to the outpouring of support and expectation from exactly no one, she knows that she is that champion

Hey, What’s Just Happened to George Will?

By on 4.12.15 | 3:25PM

In his column in the Washington Post on April 12, 2015, George Will seems to embrace a “Containment Plus” policy with respect to Iran and the Middle East: Give them all the bomb and they’ll contain each other. Seriously.

Here’s his argument:

Premise 1. If you really, really want something, nothing can stop you from getting it. And Iran really, really wants the bomb. “Iran is going to be a nuclear power if it intensely wants to be — and it does; no practicable sanctions can be severe and durable enough to defeat this determination.” None at all. This is an a priori certainty, a certainty by definition, like 1 + 1 = 2.

Red Sox Best Yankees in 19 Innings & I Watched The Whole Thing

By on 4.11.15 | 2:51AM

It took them 19 innings & 6 hours and 49 minutes, but the Boston Red Sox beat the New York Yankees 6-5 in their first regular season meeting in 2015. Those 409 minutes were the longest in Red Sox history. And yes, I watched the whole thing and kept score of the game.

Going into the sixth, the Sox had a 3-0 lead. Wade Miley was pitching magnificently in his Sox debut. But he had been sitting on the bench for 27 minutes while the Sox scored two measly runs. But Miley lost his command giving up two runs on two hits and two walks.

But the Sox still had a 3-2 lead in the 9th with but one out to go. However, Chase Headley had other ideas and took Edward Mujica deep to tie the game.

In the middle of the 12th, the game was delayed for nearly half an hour because a bank of lights went out at Yankee Stadium.

The impassed would remain until the 16th inning when David Ortiz hit his first home run of the season off Esmil Rogers to give the Sox a 4-3 lead.

Biden Steals Baby’s Pacifier Because Of Course He Did

By on 4.10.15 | 12:25PM

With the Hillary Clinton announcement looming, it's almost as though a personal dream is dying. Obviously, when the woman who is owed at least Quixotic shot at the Presidency, having been bested by a first-term Senator from a flyover state only a few short years ago, enters the race, the man, the myth and the legend, Mr. Joe Biden, will likely have to bow out.

This is disappointing on so many levels. First, the bumper sticker that reads "I'm Ridin' With Biden" that I bought from the Draft Biden campaign will now look more like a relic of a bygone era. Second, Joe Biden will never get to buy that campaign Corvette Z06 that he's been looking forward to since he first got into this game. And third, we're going to miss so many fantastic political moments, like that time Joe Biden took a pacifier from a former NYC mayor's grandson and sucked it in his face.