June 18, 2013 | 1 comment
May 28, 2013 | 2 comments
May 10, 2013 | 1 comment
May 6, 2013 | 4 comments
April 22, 2013 | 2 comments
Osama Bin Laden has picked up on the cause of climate change as a way to attack the United States, according to a new videotape released through Al Jazeera. On the surface, his timing may appear to be particularly unfortunate as the science underpinning alarmist claims about man-made global warming has been exposed as fraudulent and misleading.
However, the “climategate” scandal involving emails from the University of East Anglia Climate Research Unit (CRU) in Great Britain that has unfolded in tandem with the exposure of fallacious statements in the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) reports has gone largely unreported. Moreover, it is evident from his remarks that Bin Laden is more concerned with regulatory control than he is with scientific integrity. (There’s a lot of that going around.)
The New York Times and other outlets picked up on this point in its coverage of the Al Qaeda leader’s remarks in the following paragraphs:
“In the message broadcast on Friday, Mr. bin Laden veered away from his traditional vows to inflict death and destruction on the United States, and instead discussed climate change, globalization and monetary policy in a message that he said was directed to `the whole world.’”
“He called for a worldwide boycott of American goods and the dollar. He faulted the United States for failing to sign the Kyoto Protocol, which sought to curb global warming by restricting greenhouse gas emissions.”
Bottom line here is that environmentalism, right from beginning, has always been about constraining and restricting America’s economic and military activity. It has provided the U.N., and more recently the E.U., with ability to attack American independence and sovereignty on the sly.
“Even Bin Laden recognizes the inherent propaganda and potential destructiveness to the U.S. of the entire global warming movement,” Climate Depot’s Marc Morano observed. “Soon, only a few fringe political figures — like Bin Laden — will still spout the nonsense climate claims that were once accepted as mainstream.”
Media organs that have reported uncritically on the more extreme claims of the environmental movement now have a special obligation to deprive Bin Laden and others of scoring propaganda points.
Here are a few key facts from the Science and Environmental Policy Project (SEPP) to help get them started.
· In mid-August, after repeated requests for such data under the Freedom of Information Act, the Climate Research Unit at the University of East Anglia (CRU), one of the three international agencies that calculate global temperatures, announced that it discarded the raw data used to calculate global surface temperatures. The CRU action renders independent review and verification of the temperature trends published by the CRU impossible - a clear violation of principles of science and the Freedom of Information Act
· In October, at the 2009 annual meeting of the Geological Society of America, Dr. Don Easterbrook presented graphs demonstrating how tree ring data from Russia showing a cooling after 1961 were truncated and artfully disguised in IPCC publications. The artful deceit, so exposed, indicates that the IPCC Assessment Report 4 (AR4) contains deceptions rendering the entire document scientifically questionable.
· In November, emails from the CRU were leaked to the public. These emails reveal efforts to suppress independent studies that are contrary to IPCC conclusions of human caused global warming. Thus, the IPCC scientific review process has a systematic bias of an unknowable magnitude in favor of human induced warming.
· In mid-December, the Russian Institute of Economic Analysis (IEA) reported that the Hadley Center for Climate Change of the British Meteorological Office (Met Office) had probably tampered with Russian climate data and that the Russian meteorological station data do not support human caused global warming. The Met Office collaborates with the CRU in reporting global temperatures. The reported global surface temperature trends are unreliable and probably have a strong warming bias of an unknown magnitude.
· In January, Joe D’Aleo and E. Michael Smith reported that the National Climatic Data Center (NOAA-NCDC) and the National Aeronautics and Space Administration’s Goddard Institute of Space Studies (NASA-GISS) dropped many meteorological stations from their data bases in recent years. The dropped stations, many of which continue to make appropriate reports, are generally in colder climates. [For a detailed report see item #1 below.] The actions by NOAA -NCDC and NASA-GISS make their reported temperature trends unreliable and likely to have a strong warming bias of an unknown magnitude. [NOAA-NCDC and NASA-GISS are the two other organizations that report global surface temperatures.]
A man of faith in a godless age is hitting Americans where it hurts.
Mr. and Mrs. American Spectator Reader, let P.J. O’Rourke talk sense to your kids.
In Britain, defending your property can get you life.
It won’t take long for conservatives to scratch this presidential wannabe off their 2008 scorecard.
Was the President done in by the economy, or by the politics of the economy?