Past time, actually, but let’s not pile on.
WASHINGTON — There is a grisly pallor that has beset former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich. Then, too, there is a lumpiness: to his face, to his features, to his – well — to his lump. When he walks into a room I feel rather sorry for him, but then I feel rather sorry for Bill Clinton too and for Hillary. No longer do I call her “Bill’s lovely wife, Bruno.” She looks grandmotherly rather than tough. I guess maybe her coeval from the 1960s generation of student government goody-goodies, Newt, looks grandfatherly rather than brainy. What does Al Gore look like these days, and Jean-François Kerry? They all quite abruptly assumed old age.
Yet, Newt did it on the field of battle. I suppose I should compliment him for that; he is running once again for high office, the presidency. Yet, there is something manic about his presence in the presidential field. Now he is reduced to saying that he has been counted out so many times that it is just a matter of time before he wins the presidential nomination. Can anyone other than Newt follow that line of reasoning? I suppose it is a variation on his cogenerationist Bill Clinton’s claim that he is the Comeback Kid. Yet Newt is not a kid and he is not coming back.
This week the editors of National Review called upon Newt to quit the race. I second the motion. A couple of weeks ago Newt called for Rick Santorum, he having only one win in his column, to give up. Now Santorum has four wins and Newt is stuck with his one forlorn victory an increasingly long time ago. It is time for Newt to throw his weight behind Santorum or Mitt Romney. It is time for him to retire from the race and go on to become the greatest Futurologist in America, possibly in the known world. The present is no place for him. He has displayed his judgment repeatedly and it is deficient. He has also displayed his art for the one-liner and it is destructive, destructive of other Republicans in the race. He began his race for the presidency with a flourish of his ostentatious braininess that hurt Congressman Paul Ryan, a real Republican leader. He has gone on to endanger Santorum and Romney. It is time for him to go.
NR asks whether he “remains in the race because he still believes he could become president next year or because he wants to avenge his wounded pride.” Those of us who grew up with the 1960s generation recognize that he believes both. He thinks he could be the nominee and indeed the president and he wants to avenge his pride. In any event, he should quit now. He has already done enough damage. All his one-liners are being studied by President Obama’s staff and will be deployed soon against the Republican nominee.
The only good that has come from Newt’s campaign is that Santorum and Romney are getting some practice in parrying Newt’s anti-capitalist one-liners. They will be better campaigners against Obama because of Newt.
I suggest that both candidates agree that they are unrepentant proponents of free market economics. In other words, they side with about 70 percent of the American people. We gave Obama his chance to get the economy back on the path to growth, and he blew it. Worse, he saddled the country with a burden that it will take years to relieve. The community organizer in the White House brought down on America four straight years of deficits, and they were hardly normal deficits. They were all above $1.29 trillion. He initiated an unprecedented four years of federal spending at more than 24 percent of GDP! Now he wants to tax the top 2 percent of income earners to balance the budget somewhere down the road. Does anyone believe the remaining 98 percent of Americans are not going to be hit by Obama’s taxes and very soon? We are headed toward Greece.
This is not the road to growth. It is the Road to Serfdom, as the great economist F. A. Hayek warned. This presidential campaign should be waged on the topic of President Obama’s last four budgets and the onerous burden of ever paying for them.
A man of faith in a godless age is hitting Americans where it hurts.
Mr. and Mrs. American Spectator Reader, let P.J. O’Rourke talk sense to your kids.
In Britain, defending your property can get you life.
It won’t take long for conservatives to scratch this presidential wannabe off their 2008 scorecard.
Was the President done in by the economy, or by the politics of the economy?