Tribune Editor defends refusal to publish police report, as story explodes.
(Page 3 of 6)
- Fact #4: To the right of the facts found in the very first horizontal column — the words “Portland Police Bureau” and “CONFIDENTIAL SPECIAL REPORT” are four small boxes, each with a single word next to them. Clearly, the person filling out the report is expected to fill in one of the boxes to indicate his or her view of the information below. The four words next to the four boxes are these: Information, Continuation, Clearance, Supplemental. The box next to the word “Clearance” has been checked. It is the only box that has been marked — with a handwritten letter “X.”
- Facts #5 and #6: The next line shows two facts. Whatever follows below has been assigned something called “Case No.” So this fact — Fact # 5 - tells us that whatever the information that follows, that information is, officially, a case belonging to the Portland Police Bureau. What case? The report clearly provides this fact, Fact # 6. Someone has carefully handwritten that this information has officially been designated by the Portland Police Bureau as Case. No. “07-9568.”
- Fact # 7: The next filled space bears a one-word title: “Classification.” In capital letters beneath it, someone has typed the following:
SEX ABUSE III
- Fact #8: The next line down presents another series of blank boxes, six to be precise. The words next to the boxes are these, numbered one through six: ” 1. Unfounded.” “2. Pending.” “3. Suspended.” “4. Car. By Arrest.” “5. Exceptional.” “6. Referred.” Someone has clearly marked an “X” in box five, next to the word “Exceptional.”
- Fact #9: There are two dates written. An “Original Report Date/Time,” where someone has typed “102406” and handwritten a backslash with the number “1400.” The next box, titled “This Report Date/Time” has the typed number “121506.”
- Fact #10: “Location of occurrence” on the form has a typed address: “400 SW Broadway.” A quick check reveals this to be the exact address of the Hotel Lucia in downtown Portland.
- Fact #11: In the box labeled “Name” — presumably the name of the person with the information that initiated the CONFIDENTIAL SPECIAL REPORT of the Portland Police Bureau, a report that requires “Clearance” and is checked as “Exceptional” and has been designated with a “Classification” as “SEX ABUSE III” —the name is redacted. Which is to say, it is blacked out so the reader of Facts 1 through 10 cannot read the name listed. So too is the information filling the box labeled “DOB” — Date of Birth — redacted. So too on the next line with whatever information is in the box labeled “Address.” The zip code — 97216 — is seen. The phone listed as “UNKNOWN.”
- Fact #12: Fact # 12 is the fact that begins to stun. In a considerable space under the heading: “Subject of This Report” and, in caps, “FOLLOW UP INTERVIEW” is this underlined section: “Person of Interest.” I will quote it exactly as written in the copy provided to me by Mr. Garber:
Aka: GORE, AL
Former Vice President of United States of America
- Fact # 13: Fact #13 follows in a section underlined as “Person Interviewed.” The information contains the city and zip code, a redacted phone number, the redacted name of the accuser as represented by an unnamed attorney. And these words…appearing here exactly as written:
….reported alleged Sexual Assault by AL GORE to (redaction)
Respectfully, Mr. Garber, to say as you have that what your paper had in hand “contains little to no factual information” is, to many, an interesting fact in and of itself. On the very first page of this report are, as listed, thirteen facts that make this a very, very serious news story.
Other facts in this report as forwarded by Mr. Garber:
A man of faith in a godless age is hitting Americans where it hurts.
Mr. and Mrs. American Spectator Reader, let P.J. O’Rourke talk sense to your kids.
In Britain, defending your property can get you life.
The debacle of this president’s administration is both a cause and a symptom of the decline of American values. Unless Congress impeaches him, that decline will go on unchecked. An eminent jurist surveys the damage and assesses the chances for the recovery of our culture.
It won’t take long for conservatives to scratch this presidential wannabe off their 2008 scorecard.
The American Christmas, like the songs that celebrate it, makes room for everybody under the rainbow. Is that why so many people seem to be hostile to it?
Was the President done in by the economy, or by the politics of the economy?