The HSLDA PAC last week planned to endorse Huckabee, but all of the internal email correspondence and notification of the endorsement took place, not via the HSLDA PAC, which can legally endorse, but the 501c3 HSLDA nonprofit, which is barred from overt political activity, such as fundraising for a candidate or endorsing.
All email traffic related to the letter’s creation, editing, and distribution, as well as email of all of the draft materials that were forwarded to the Huckabee campaign for approval and editing, took place on HSLDA.org email addresses. One other email address was linked to Patrick Henry College.p>The draft letter of endorsement, obtained by The American Spectator , clearly lays out ways HSLDA members can fundraise and donate to the Huckabee campaign, which has been financially floundering for months. In this year’s first fundraising cycle, Huckabee’s campaign raised less than $600,000. The endorsement letter read, in part: br> /p>
We have taken this historic step of an early endorsement because the process of electing our President is based on a radically different timetable in this election. The vast majority of the primaries will be earlier than ever. If we do not act now, all conservatives will be driven from the race by lack of funding and we will be left with only unacceptable choices.br> “It doesn’t appear from the materials we’ve been given that HSLDA PAC was involved in any way with the planning of this endorsement,” says an FEC staffer. “Everything was through the nonprofit arm. It doesn’t appear that these folks even attempted to build a firewall, so it makes us wonder about coordination.”
Thus, we urge our members to do four things:
1. Listen to our interview with Mike Huckabee and Mike Farris. (Link).
2. Support Mike Huckabee in your state’s presidential primary (or other nomination process).
2. [sic] Please pray for him on a regular basis.
3. [sic] Please consider volunteering for his campaign. Here is a link to his campaign website.
4. [sic] Please make a donation TODAY to his campaign. (link). Do not think that it is insignificant because you cannot give thousands of dollars. A campaign like Huckabee’s will only work when thousands of friends network together giving, $25, $50, $100, or even just $10 each. Frankly a campaign that receives $25 from 10,000 people is far stronger than a campaign that receives $10,000 from 25 people.
A man of faith in a godless age is hitting Americans where it hurts.
Mr. and Mrs. American Spectator Reader, let P.J. O’Rourke talk sense to your kids.
In Britain, defending your property can get you life.
The debacle of this president’s administration is both a cause and a symptom of the decline of American values. Unless Congress impeaches him, that decline will go on unchecked. An eminent jurist surveys the damage and assesses the chances for the recovery of our culture.
It won’t take long for conservatives to scratch this presidential wannabe off their 2008 scorecard.
The American Christmas, like the songs that celebrate it, makes room for everybody under the rainbow. Is that why so many people seem to be hostile to it?
Was the President done in by the economy, or by the politics of the economy?