The American Spectator is a saddle-stitched publication printed monthly (with the exception of two double issues) on 45lb paper and 100lb cover stock. High-resolution PDF X1/a files only and should be accompanied with supplied fonts, graphics and images. Contract proof with color bar is required.
Trim size: (actual page size) is 10" x
Live image area: 8" x 10"
Bleed (1/4" added to trim): 10- 1/4" x 12- 1/4"
Artwork can either be shipped or e-mailed. Ftp access is also available upon request.
Attn: Advertising, The American Spectator
1611 N. Kent St., Ste. 901
Arlington, VA 22209
Creating a PDF X1/a
- All high-resolution images and fonts must be included when the Postscript file is saved
- No TrueType fonts or font substitutions
- No RGB or JPEG images
- Do not nest EPS files into other EPS files
- Do not embed ICC profiles
- Ensure that OPI comments are turned off
- Maximum density: 300%
- Minimum dot value: 7% (less than this will not hold ink)
- Maximum screened dot value: 85% (more than this will saturate to a solid)
- Final file should include crop marks ¼" away from trim
- Thin lines or medium to small type (10pts. or less) should be restricted to two colors
- Knockouts (reverse type) should be made with no more than two colors
- Small lettering and fine serifs should not be used
- Process-build screens should be limited to 2 colors for optimum quality
- Do not apply attributes or modify graphics within the page layout program; use the originating application
- Convert all images to CMYK. Use CMYK builds in the page layout program unless printing a specific spot color on press
Supplied Contract Proof Specifications
All proofs provided should be printed on paper similar to the actual product stock. Contract proofs must conform to SWOP standards.
- SWOP Proofing Standards: (Standards for Web Offset Printing) Specifications can be found at: www.swop.org
- Proofs provided that do not meet SWOP standards will only be used on press when specifically requested. Accurate press match cannot be guaranteed with these proofs
- Jog to the head and require a 1/8" trim
- Require a minimum hanger size of 3-1/2"
- Must be supplied flat if less than 7" in height and supplied folded if greater than 7" in height
- Center spread inserts should be supplied folded
Shipping for Supplied Inserts Only:
Attn: Crystal Heimbach
c/o American Spectator
668 Gravel Pike
East Greenville, PA 18041