The American Spectator 2013 Media Kit
America’s Most Intelligent Political Magazine
email: Ruddy at Spectator.org
1611 North Kent Street, Suite 901
Arlington, VA 22209
P| 703.807.2011 x22
For over 45 years, The American Spectator has courageously delivered some of the nation’s most influential reporting, reaching a fine-tuned audience of affluent, well-educated, and politically aware decision makers. Its readership is the Who’s Who of opinion-makers both in and out of office, conservative as well as liberal.
The Spectator magazine, its online website, and up-to-the minute blog, are accessible from any computer, smart phone, or tablet, reaching a monthly audience of millions. With a world-wide subscriber base, The American Spectator is also available on newsstands across the country and in all major bookstores.
Headquartered inside the beltway, The American Spectator maintains a strong Capitol Hill presence. The monthly edition is hand-delivered to every member of congress and is regarded by policy makers as the go-to resource for ground-breaking investigative reporting and opinion pieces on politics, public policy, and culture.
Its website, Spectator.org, attracts 1.5 million visitors each month with with over 4 million pageviews and delivers all the wit and satire that has been the trademark of The American Spectator magazine since its founding in 1967. And its weekly On The Prowl email, free to its opt-in subscription base of 100,000, delivers important news alerts and offers additional advertising opportunites.
The American Specator and Spectator.org offer advertisers a variety of customized options designed to uniquely reach their target audience. Opportunities are available in the magazine’s print and digital editions, online at Spectator.org, and in the On The Prowl weekly email. Advertising packages and special rates are available for non-profits and book publishers.
- 86% Male
- 14% Female
- 06% Under 50
- 55% 51-69
- 39% 70+
- 34% Bachelor's Degree
- 40% Post-Graduate Degree
- 22% Some College
- 38% 500,000+
- 24% 1,000,000+
- 15% Professional/Managerial
- 22% Owner/Partner
- 60% Retired
- 91% Subscribers for 2+ yrs.
- 60% Subscribers for 6+ yrs.
- 37% Subscribers for 10+ yrs.
- 18% of subscribers to The American Spectator are classified within the top five percentile of wealth in the United States. They hold positions as business executives, board members of publicly-traded companies, and/or have assets that far exceed the national average.
- 10% of subscribers to The American Spectator hold active investment portfolios of up to $1,000,000.
- Many are self-identified philanthropists that have contributed a minimum gift of $50,000 to non-profit institutions.
- 92% Own a home
- 66% Traveling
- 12% Hunting/Fishing
- 53% Visiting Museums
- 19% Playing Golf/Tennis
- 51% Spectator Sports
- 17% Cruises
- 78% Married
- 98% Leisure Trips Last Year
- 49% 3+ Leisure Trips
- 29% Business Trips Last Year
- 58% 3+ Business Trips
Online Spending Per Year
- 90% Purchased Products/Services Online
- 27% $500 - $1,000
- 27% $1,000+
Magazine Spending Per Year
- 62% Bought from a Magazine
- 10% $500-$1,000
- 06% $1,000+
Books Purchased Last Year
- 26% 5 - 10 Books
- 20% 10 - 15 Books
- 29% 15+ Books
Types of Books Purchased
- 50% Fiction
- 74% History
- 39% Biography
- 58% Political
Special rates available for non-profit organizations and publishers. Above rates are valid through January 2013. For further information or to reserve space, please contact Katherine Ruddy at 703.807.2011 ext. 22
|Black & White||Open||3x||6x||10x|
|Issue:||Closing Date:||Materials Due:||Mail Date:||On Sale Date:|
|February||Dec 19||Dec 26||Jan 09||Jan 29|
|March||Jan 22||Jan 25||Feb 06||Feb 26|
|April||Feb 26||March 1||March 13||April 02|
|May||March 26||March 29||April 10||April 30|
|June||April 23||April 26||May 08||May 28|
|July/Aug||May 28||May 31||June 12||July 02|
|September||July 23||July 26||Aug 07||Aug 27|
|October||Aug 26||Aug 29||Sep 11||Oct 01|
|November||Sept 24||Sept 27||Oct 09||Oct 29|
|Dec/Jan||Oct 22||Oct 25||Nov 06||Nov 26|
The American Spectator is a saddle-stitched publication printed monthly (with the exception of two double issues) on 45lb paper and 100lb cover stock. High-resolution PDF X1/a files only and should be accompanied with supplied fonts, graphics and images. Contract proof with color bar is required.
Trim size: (actual page size) is 10" x
Live image area: 8" x 10"
Bleed (1/4" added to trim): 8-1/4" x 10-1/4"
Artwork can either be shipped or e-mailed. Ftp access is also available upon request.
Attn: Advertising, The American Spectator
1611 N. Kent St., Ste. 901
Arlington, VA 22209
Creating a PDF X1/a
- All high-resolution images and fonts must be included when the Postscript file is saved
- No TrueType fonts or font substitutions
- No RGB or JPEG images
- Do not nest EPS files into other EPS files
- Do not embed ICC profiles
- Ensure that OPI comments are turned off
- Maximum density: 300%
- Minimum dot value: 7% (less than this will not hold ink)
- Maximum screened dot value: 85% (more than this will saturate to a solid)
- Final file should include crop marks ¼" away from trim
- Thin lines or medium to small type (10pts. or less) should be restricted to two colors
- Knockouts (reverse type) should be made with no more than two colors
- Small lettering and fine serifs should not be used
- Process-build screens should be limited to 2 colors for optimum quality
- Do not apply attributes or modify graphics within the page layout program; use the originating application
- Convert all images to CMYK. Use CMYK builds in the page layout program unless printing a specific spot color on press
Supplied Contract Proofs
All proofs provided should be printed on paper similar to the actual product stock. Contract proofs must conform to SWOP standards.
- SWOP Proofing Standards: (Standards for Web Offset Printing) Specifications can be found at: www.swop.org
- Proofs provided that do not meet SWOP standards will only be used on press when specifically requested. Accurate press match cannot be guaranteed with these proofs
- Jog to the head and require a 1/8" trim
- Require a minimum hanger size of 3-1/2"
- Must be supplied flat if less than 7" in height and supplied folded if greater than 7" in height
- Center spread inserts should be supplied folded
Shipping for Supplied Inserts Only:
Attn: Crystal Heimbach
c/o American Spectator
668 Gravel Pike
East Greenville, PA 18041